Royal Johannesburg Golf Club
Designed ByMark Muller, Robert Grimsdell
SpikesSoft spikes only
Premier Johannesburg course featuring two 18-hole championship courses (East and West). The Royal Johannesburg & Kensington Golf Club is a 36-hole golf complex located in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa.
Founded on 6 November 1890, members of the Johannesburg Golf Club first began playing “behind Hospital Hill”, in an area that later became known as Clarendon Circle and Empire Road. The club did not settle here, moving four times in the next 19 years, before settling in 1909 on the land it still occupies today.
The Club helped create of the Transvaal Golf Union in 1908, and provided the first President of the South African Golf Union in 1910.
In 1930, the Prince of Wales (who later became King Edward VIII), played the West Course. Six months later, he became the club’s patron. In July 1931, King George V added the “Royal” prefix to the club’s name.
Little is known about the original Kensington Golf Club that went out of business in 1918. The later version of Kensington hosted a number of significant South African tournaments and competitions, particularly in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. Kensington merged with Royal Johannesburg in 1998.
- 27 11 640 3021